Wednesday, January 18, 2012

January 16

It has been an interesting last few days.  This past week I got to hang out with one of my co-workers from Victoria’s Secret who I really enjoy working with.  We wandered around downtown Portland, ate at a Persian restaurant, went to Powell’s, and then went over to an art store where I bought a sketchbook and some pencils.  It has been YEARS since I’ve really wanted to draw.  I have decided I’m going to start drawing what I see (a different form of taking pictures) again.  It has been a long time since I’ve done that.

But something more interesting has happened this past week.  I have discovered something great about getting older.  As we get older, we begin to get wrinkles, we get pains in random places at unexplained times, we can’t stay up really late and still function normally the next day.  But one of the great things, I discovered, about getting older is you can run into people you haven’t seen in years.  A part of me finds it strange that I have lived enough years to be able to go years without seeing or talking to someone I once knew in my adult life, but mostly I just find it fascinating.  I was at Warner Pacific on Thursday and unexpectedly ran into an old friend I had worked at Walgreens with.  She had transferred her credits there and was finishing up school.  We spent the afternoon chatting and beginning to catch up and it was such fun.  And then on Saturday I went to the birthday party of a friend I haven’t seen since I was in high school.  We used to go to church together.  It is fascinating and really enjoyable to see how people change.  I think I like us all better now that we’re thirty.  We’re so much more comfortable with ourselves.  Of course, we still have a lot of life to live and a long way to go.  But I am glad I’m not in my 20’s anymore.

And yesterday I started my new job.  So far, I like it.  Back for more training today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment